Friday, March 30, 2012

Lentil Meatloaf

  Since becoming vegetarian, I haven't had to worry about missing some of my childhood dishes, because lentils are a perfect substitute for meat!  You can use them to make tacos, meatloaf (see below), meatballs, sloppy joes (which I renamed sloppy lennies), lasagna, shepard's pie, and moussaka!  Okay, so the last two are just dishes that I really love.  :D  Meatloaf can be highly personal, but also very versatile.  I created this recipe from one passed down from my mom.  I tried measuring out the ingredients for the first time this past week when I made it, so that I could share it with you.  I was taught that it is kind of an eyeball thing.  Hope you like it!




Lentil Meatloaf  (makes 4 servings)
15g protein & 226cal per serving
  • 2c cooked lentils (35.8g; 460cal)
  • 1/2tsp salt/pepper
  • 1 onion, chopped or 1/2tsp onion powder
  • 2 cl garlic or 1/4tsp garlic powder
  • 1c breadcrumbs (roughly 3 slices of bread, toasted) (12g; 240cal)
  • 2tsp mustard
  • 3Tbsp ketchup
  • 1/2tsp worcestershire sauce (vegan)
  • 2 eggs (12g; 204cal)
  1. Preheat the oven to 375f.
  2. Mix up the all of the ingredients, except for the eggs.  This is when I like to do my taste testing and see if I want to add anything else or change the seasoning.
  3. Once you are happy with the flavor, add the eggs.  If your lentils have been over-cooked or have too much water in them, you can increase the amount of breadcrumbs or reduce down to only using 1 egg.
  4. Mix up well and place into a bread baking dish (for a loaf style) or form free handed into a log shape in a bigger baking dish.
  5. Bake for 1hr.  
   I would advise against using parchment paper, like I did this time.  The nicest part about the meatloaf is the crunchy top and sides, and I wasn't a fan of how the bottom tasted this time around.  Feel free to throw in other veggies, make little mini loaves, or add a sauce on top.  I've had some w/ bbq sauces and some w/ ketchup sauces, but if you are going to make a sauce, maybe put it on half way through cooking or it will be gummy at the end.  Meatloaves are also great stuffed w/ cheese or mashed potatoes inside.  :)  Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment