Friday, March 16, 2012

Applesauce Cake

  This is seriously one of my favorite cakes of all time.  It is so good that it's hard not to gobble it all up in one sitting.  It's great for breakfast, as a snack, or for dessert!  Thank you, Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook for this one!



Applesauce Cake  (makes 8-12 servings)
  • 1/4c flavorless oil, I use sunflower
  • 2/3c sugar
  • 1c applesauce, I use 2 individual serving cups
  • 1Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1-2 apples, cubed or shredded*
  • 1/4c yogurt*
  • 1/2c walnuts
  • 2c flour, I use a blend of whole wheat pastry and brown rice flour
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • 1/2tsp baking soda
  • 1/2tsp salt
  • 1 1/2tsp cinnamon
  • dash nutmeg and ginger (if you have available)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350f.  Oil your baking dish; I usu use an 8x8 square.
  2. Mix the the first six ingredients together; oil, sugar, applesauce, vinegar, apples*, yogurt*, and walnuts.  *Not essential ingredients, I just needed to use up some apples.  However, I found that once I added them, the batter was a little too dry, so I added the yogurt to help with that.  You could also try using a nut/soy milk to make it dairy-free or omit both altogether.
  3. Next, mix up the remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
  4. Then, mix the dry ing. into the wet ing.  
  5. Bake for about 30m.  Let cool for 5m, then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment