Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Chickpea Cutlets

  I discovered this recipe in Veganomicon.  As long as you don't have an intolerance to gluten, then you will love this dish!  It reminds me most of schnitzel, maybe even a good sub for chicken fried chicken or chicken fried steak.  We ate it for dinner, but I think you could also easily have it for lunch in a sandwich or for a hearty breakfast!




Chickpea Cutlets  (makes 4 servings)
13g protein & 335.75cal per serving

  • 1c cooked chickpeas (14.5g; 269cal)
  • 2Tbsp evoo (238cal)
  • 1/2c vital wheat gluten (31g; 240cal) *used average protein of different brands
  • 1/2c breadcrumbs, roughly 1 1/2 slices of bread (6g; 120cal)
  • 1/4c water
  • 2Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/2tsp thyme
  • 1/2tsp sage
  • oil for frying (4Tbsp=476cal)
  1. Mash up the chickpeas.  It's okay if it has lumps, but some of the pieces might not stick very well in the final product.
  2. Mix everything together and knead for a few minutes.  
  3. Preheat your pan over medium w/ some oil, while you make your cutlets.
  4. Divide into 4 pieces, and knead and stretch each one out into a 6x4 inch rectangle.  I usually make them about the size of my hand.
  5. Fry them up in the skillet, about 5m each side or when browned.  (You can also try baking these at 375f. Brush w/ evoo and bake on one side for 20m, flip, and bake another 8-10m.)
  These cutlets are so delicious and have a meaty texture.  My husband likes to eat his w/ ketchup, but I prefer my cutlet plain.  Though I think this would also be great w/ gravy.  You can also optionally add garlic, lemon zest, or paprika.  My next project is to make these in bulk and see how they do in the freezer.  I think I might slightly pan fry them, and then bake them after they defrost.  Mmm, can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment