Monday, April 2, 2012

Sesame-Ginger Stir Fry Sauce

  I came across this recipe in Lorna Sass' Short-Cut Vegetarian: Great Taste in No Time. I made a few changes, but overall was very happy with the result.  :)




Sesame-Ginger Stir Fry Sauce  (makes 2-4 servings)
6.2g protein & 606cal total

  • 2Tbsp toasted sesame seeds (3.2g; 104cal)
  • 2Tbsp oil (238cal)
  • 2Tbsp sesame oil (240cal)
  • 3Tbsp soy sauce (3g; 24cal)
  • 1/4c pickled ginger
  • 2Tbsp ginger juice or rice vinegar
  • 2Tbsp water
  • optl: garlic
  1. Toast the sesame seeds over medium heat for a few minutes, stirring every once in awhile.  Once they start to brown and become fragrant, remove them from the heat.
  2. Blend all ingredients and add to stir-fry.
  3. Stores up to 3 months, however the addition of fresh garlic will lower storage time.
  Pretty delicious, though a little greasy like a stir-fry should be.  I didn't measure out the pickled ginger when I used it in this sauce, just grabbed some out and chopped it up.  Maybe b/c of that I didn't really taste the ginger flavor.  :/  I think next time I will decrease the sesame oil to 1Tbsp, so that it does not overwhelm the ginger.  I might also try adding some fresh ginger instead of pickled.  I also decreased the sunflower oil from 1/4c (in the original recipe) to 2Tbsp b/c I was using oil to fry the tofu in.

No comments:

Post a Comment